Today is my Spooky Halloween Banner Class. After some experimentation I figured out an easy way to make it. It is so easy that I will also be making a red and green Christmas one and a Let it Snow one using the Christmas Accessory Kit. I am so glad there are 18 pennants in both the Kit and the Refill Kit. Enjoy making your own Banners!
Kits: Build-a Banner Simply Created Kit #133507
Halloween Accessory Kit #132698
Inks: Tangerine Tango ink pad (freshly reinked)
StayzOn Black ink pad (freshly reinked) OR Basic Black ink pad (freshly inked)
Card Stock: Basic Black
Tangerine Tango card stock
Crushed Curry card stock
Punches: 2-3/8″ Scallop Circle
1-1/4″ Scallop Circle
Other: Sponge Daubers
Jumbo Sticky Rounds #127852 OR Glue Gun
Simply Scored Tool
StayzOn Cleaner if you used StayzOn ink
Decide on the word you want to use on your banner and how many of the banner pennants you want to use. Lay out the pennants in the order you want. I will give the instructions for the Spooky Banner I made.
1. Choose and lay out the six pennants as shown.
2. First and last pennants: Use a sponge dauber, the Tangerine Tango ink pad, and your Chevron stencil. Place the stencil with the open circle up at the top. I put it as high as I could on all my stencils. Gently rub your Sponge Dauber in your Tangerine Tango ink pad, then gently rub your inked Sponge Dauber in the open part of the Chevrons until they are the color you like. Leave the circle part blank. Set aside to dry.
3. Fourth pennant: Use the Stripe stencil and fill in the stripes using your Sponge Dauber and Tangerine Tango ink, as above.
4. Clean your stencils by running water over them. Lay them on a towel to dry.
5. Assemble the Rosettes in your Halloween Accessory Kit by adding Sticky Strip to one end and attaching the ends. Remove one side of the Jumbo Sticky Round (or use hot glue). Flatten out your Rosette and make the center as small as possible. Cover the center with the sticky round. Turn it over and put another Sticky Round on the center. This should keep them flat enough to easily add your decorations after all your rosettes are assembled.
6. Make two card stock rosettes. Cut four 2″ x 8-1/2″ Tangerine Tango strips. Score each strip every 3/8″. Fold accordion style. Attach two strips together using Sticky Strip. Attach to Jumbo Sticky Rounds as you did with the other rosettes.
7. Letter Strips. Cut one 2-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ Tangerine Tango strip and one 2-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ Crushed Curry strip. Decide how you want the bottom cut and line them up with the corresponding pennant, centering the strip, and cut the very bottom off. Decide which letters you want on them. I did the first “o” and a “k”. Adhere to those Pennants with Tombow glue.
8. Now to sponge the letters on your pennants and strips. You might want to lay out the rosettes on the pennants to help you position your letters. Choose out the letters you want. Make sure you get the “p”. I realized later that I used the “d” instead of the “p”. The “p” had a line on the bottom of the tail that extends on both sides of the tail. I laid out the stencils on the pennants I wanted them on so I would get them in the order I wanted them. Sponge on the letters. If you use Black StayzOn Ink, please clean the stencils immediately after sponging all the letters. Use StayzOn Cleaner, then rinse under running water. Dry with paper towel or let air dry on a towel.
9. Punch out 2 each Basic Black, Tangerine Tango, and Crushed Curry 2-3/8″ Scallop Circles and 1 Crushed Curry and 1 Basic Black 1-1/4″ Scallop Circles. The smaller scallops are optional.
10. Decorate your Rosettes. Place your rosettes on the pennant you want them. Now decorate them. Here is what I did to mine:
~S. Chevron Pennant, Black Rosette, 2-3/8″ Tangerine Tango Scallop Circle, Crushed Curry Circle from Kit, Black Button from Kit attached with Glue Dots.
~P. Plain Pennant, Crushed Curry rosette, 2-3/8″ Basic Black Scallop Circle, Spider die cut from Halloween Kit (The Skull and Crossbones is shown in the Holiday Catalog.)
~O. Plain Pennant with Crushed Curry strip, Tangerine Tango card stock rosette, Basic Black large Scallop Circle, Orange circle from Halloween Kit, Crushed Curry 1-1/4″ Scallop Circle, Black button from Kit attached with Glue Dots.
~O. Striped Pennant, Black rosette, Crushed Curry large scallop circle, Orange circle from Kit, small Basic Black scallop circle, Yellow button from Kit attached with Glue Dots.
~K. Plain Pennant with Tangerine Tango strip, Crushed Curry rosette, Tangerine Tango large scallop circle, Yellow circle from Kit, Black Button from Kit.
~Y. Chevron Pennant, Orange card stock rosette, Crushed Curry large scallop circle, Bat die cut from Kit. Add two Rhinestones for Bat’s eyes.
11. String the Jute Twine from your Kit through the grommet holes in your pennants. I had the longer part of the twine go behind the pennant. Tie a loop at each end so you can hang it up.
12. Now take the ribbons from your kit and tie them between the Pennants. Here is what I used between each set of letters:
~S & P: orange
~P & O: Gray Striped
~O & O: Basic Black 1/8″
~O & K: Orange
~K & Y: Gray Striped
13. Now hang your Spooky Halloween Banner up. Adjust the placement of the Pennants and the Ribbons. Admire it. Invite some friends over to enjoy your fun Spooky Halloween Banner! You can also take pictures and email to others or Pin It to Pinterest!
Happy Halloween Decorating!