I do LOVE making Banners and here is the Christmas Banner we made at my last class. Hope you have fun making one of your own. It is pretty easy and only takes a couple of hours to make. I made it while helping my daughter after she had her baby. I used a retired alphabet die because my DH could not find the current one to bring to me. I was just pleased with how many of the crafting supplies he found. 🙂
Kit: Banner Kit #132699 OR Build a Banner Kit (includes stencils) #133507
Stamps: Merry & Bright
Ink: Cherry Cobbler
Real Red OR Cherry Cobbler Marker
Card Stock: Red Glimmer Paper #121790
Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper #135315
Big Shot: Apothecary Accents Framelits #127003 OR Framelits of your choice
Perfect Print Alphabet Bigz Die #133725 (I used a retired one which is about the same size.)
Ribbons: Cherry Cobbler 3/4″ Chevron #130012
1/8″ Silver #132137
Other: Tombow Glue
1. Choose whether you want “Merry” all on one Banner as shown OR each letter on a separate Banner. The Basic Instructions here will be for “Merry” all on one Banner as shown.
2. Choose your letter dies. You can also use an e-cutter to cut your letters. The size of your letters helps determine which Framelits you can use and if you use a second Framelit shape to put the letters on. The Perfect Print Letters are about the same height as the letters I used but thinner and even the “M” fits all the way inside the smaller Apothecary Arts shape.
3. Choose your Framelits. I used the Apothecary Accents Framelits. Do you want two Framelits shapes or just one under the letters. Would you like the word “Merry” on one banner or with each letter on a separate Banner?
How to make the banner pictured above.
1. Choose the number of banners and banner shapes and put them in the order you want them. I used 10 Banner pieces. I started with the the one that is like an arrow pointing down, then the one with the notch, then the one with the rounded bottom and repeated this pattern ending with the same pointing down shape I started with.
2. Get out your Framelits and Big Shot. I cut five of the largest shape and four of the smaller shape from Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper. Then I cut four of the largest shape and five of the smaller shape from the Red Glimmer Paper.
3. Now to cut the letters. If you are using a Bigz die for the letters you can cut 2-3 at the same time if you lay them over the letters you need or stack the papers 2-3 high.
~Red Glimmer Paper: MERRY H I T A
~Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper: CRSMS
4. Use your Real Red or Cherry Cobbler Marker to edge the Dazzling Diamonds larger shape Framelits and also any letters that hang over and blend in. You don’t have to edge all the Dazzling Diamond letters, just the ones that need it. HERE is a video showing some edging techniques.
5. If you have any of the Red Glimmer letters that hang over and blend in, cut the letters out of Whisper White card stock and glue the the parts that need the emphasis under the Glimmer letters. Yes, you cut the letters at least in half.
6. Now to start gluing things together. Glue the “MERRY” on the first Banner. Now stamp the stars on with Cherry Cobbler ink.
I will list the letter first, then the smaller shape color, then the larger shape color. DD=Dazzling Diamonds Glimmer Paper, Red=Red Glimmer Paper
~C in DD, Red small, DD large
~H in red, DD small, Red large
~R in DD, Red small, DD large (I edged my R with red because it hangs over)
~I in red, DD small, Red large
~S in DD, Red small, DD large
~T in red, DD small, Red large
~M in DD, Red small, DD large ( I also edged my M with a marker)
~A in Red, DD small, Red large
~S in DD, Red small, DD large
7. String the Jute cord through the grommet holes, making sure you do them the same way, either with the cord behind the banner OR in front of the banner. Choose which you like best. My Jute is behind each banner piece.
8. I cut the ribbons each about 6-7 inches long. I cut 11 sets. Hold them together and tie as one ribbon moving them so the silver ends up facing forward on both ends. Tie the first set on the left side of the “Merry” Banner, then between the MERRY and the C banners, repeat between each banner, and end on the right side of the S banner.
9. Tie some loops in your Jute and hang your Banner. Adjust the Banner pieces and the Ribbons. Adjust the hanging loops if necessary. When it is positioned the way you like it, you can cut off the excess Jute.
10. Admire your Sparkly Christmas Banner!
Merry Christmas Crafting!