I made a couple of crowns for my granddaughter to wear when she has to take her “yucky” medicine. (She had her tonsils out last week.) I was unsure how well the one made of only Glimmer Paper would hold up, so I made a second one. Since I am mailing them they are not totally assembled in the pictures. I just used paper clips to hold them together for the pictures. My daughter will get to do the final assembly. 🙂
This crown would also be nice as a Birthday Girl crown or as part of a Halloween costume. For a boy’s crown use just the plain head band (ask his paper and color preference: Gold or Silver, Brushed card stock or Glimmer Paper) or use the Petite Pennant Punch to add decorations to the top of the headband.
A Personal Note. Look for a video next Friday. My laptop hard drive needs to be replaced. (crying) Its final boot up was last Saturday. My DH is letting me use his computer until he can replace my hard drive. (Wonderful techie that he is!) I now have access to my files so I can start working again! (Thank you Carbonite for the back up and all the phone help!) It will probably take me at least several weeks to get things loaded on AFTER the hard drive is replaced. So please bear with me. I should be able to keep up with my blog posts. The videos may take longer since I will be using an older version of my editing program. I do have the next 4 blog videos planned out. I did have one filmed, but still need to locate and restore it so I can edit it.
GLIMMER ALL THE WAY CROWN:
Champagne Glimmer Paper
GOLD CARD STOCK CROWN:
Brushed Gold card stock
~a Stack of books – I used six 1″ to 1-1/2″ thick paper back books for each stack and had two stacks. Since I have my own library, I just grabbed a series. (Try not to start your reading party until after the books are stacked on top of your project.)
~a Silicone Craft Sheet (more than one is nice) OR Wax paper or Parchment Paper to protect your work surface and your books!
1. Measure your child’s head. These instructions are based on a 20″ head measurement. Add more or take away some depending on the measurement you get. Choose your papers. You can use the All Glimmer Paper (now in several colors), a brushed Gold or Silver card stock, or colored card stock, or any combination to make your little Princess or Prince happy.
2. Cut the crown head band base at 2-1/2″ tall. I used the full 11″ for the Brushed Gold card stock and cut 2. I also cut 2 for the Champagne Glimmer Paper head band. Just make sure you have at least 2″ more in your head band than the head measurement. Add 1″ more for each piece piece of paper you have. 2″ extra for two head band pieces. 3″ extra for three head band pieces.
3. Punch the number of flowers you want out of either (or both) Silver and Champagne Glimmer Paper or brushed card stock or colored card stock. Punch 1 Mosaic From the Glimmer Paper of your choice. NOTE: It was easier for me to punch with the white part of the Glimmer Paper showing through the punch hole.
4. Protect your work surface with the Silicone Craft Sheet (or The Wax or Parchment Paper). Lay out the flowers, centering them on one of the head band pieces. Decide whether you want half the flower on the back of the headband or the whole flower on the front of your head band. Put Tombow Glue on the lower three petals and glue to your head band. Glue the next flower so the petals are touching. Continue until all the flowers are glued on. Glue a Mosaic punched Glimmer Paper to the top of the center flower(s) if desired. If you are not mailing the crown, glue one edge of the two headband pieces together overlapping 3/4″ to 1″. I used Sticky Strip on the Brushed Gold head band and put two strips on each end of the decorated head band piece so the pieces would overlap about 1″. You can use Tombow Glue or staples if you prefer.
5a. For the all Glimmer Paper Crown: Cover with either wax or Parchment paper. Stack the books on top. I used the books because the Glimmer Paper flowers were not staying stuck to the Glimmer Paper head band. I left the books on overnight and the flowers stayed stuck this time.
5b. The Glimmer Paper flowers on the Brushed Gold card stock didn’t give me any problems with staying glued since I did paper on paper. If you do Glimmer Paper (flowers behind), then you might need to stack books on top as in Step 5a.
6. If mailing. Leave the two head band pieces separate and send in a large flat envelope. Just have the person receiving the crown staple the head band pieces together so they fit on the child’s head with at least 3/4″ overlap between the head band pieces. They can trim off the excess before attaching the pieces together.
7. If you are not mailing the crown. Place the crown around the child’s head using paper clips to mark the diameter. Cut off any excess Glimmer Paper or card stock making sure there is 3/4″ to 1″ in the parts that overlap. Glue with Tombow Glue and hold together with either clothes pins or paper clips. Let dry for at least several hours. You can also just use staples to attach the head band together so the child can wear it right away. Most children are not very patient…. Sometimes I am not very patient. 😉
8. Take a picture of your Precious Little Princess or Prince in her/his crown to add to your scrapbook or Project Life page.
Happiness to your little princess!